Today I had the great privilege of speaking in church. I was stressed out for two weeks leading up to the event. I have spoken in church before, so I know what happens to me. Although I don't absolutely love preparing for the talk, I really do learn a lot and am glad for that experience. So, it's not the writing the talk part that I don't enjoy. It is the actual speaking. I seem to loose all control of my emotions, no matter the topic or how hard I try to relax. I think it is a fear thing.
I was prepared with my talk completely written out so I wouldn't have to think much about what I was saying. Maybe that would help with the nerves? I knew the second I stood up that I wasn't going to be able to control the shaking voice, sounding as if I would burst out in a sob at any moment. I tried to hold it back anyway.
So being Father's Day, my topic was "Fathers as Examples of Righteousness." I quoted The Family: A Proclamation to the World a few times throughout the talk. One quote I shared was, "By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." Unfortunately, when I reached the Mothers part I slipped up on the word "nurture" and replaced it with "torture." At least we all got a good laugh. If only it had been on purpose.
I only confess this embarrassing moment because I want to be at the laughing end and not the laughed at end. Let's look at the bright side, a talk like that may be remembered long enough that I don't have to speak for another five years or so.
10 years ago
2 comments:
I laughed so hard at your last few posts. Keep 'em coming I need it! Are your kids playing soccer at the U of U? Grace and Noah are, too. Grace plays in the kindergarten group, though, at 12:30.
Gabby and Parker played soccer in the spring session, so it ended in May. I probably should have signed them up, but I got a little lazy and took my Saturday's back.
Post a Comment