There is a certain large grocery/everything else Marketplace that I used to visit quite frequently. I kept having the most horrible time in the store as I was trying to check out. My favorite (hear the sarcasm) is the self-check-out lanes, although the cashiers that actually check groceries were hit and miss on being helpful as well. After too many frustrating experiences, I vowed to never go there again. Unfortunately it is close and today I had to return a purchase Randy made last week.
My kids always want to do self-check-out, and I always refuse, especially when we have any produce. Even without produce, the experience goes something like this: Scan item. Slide it across the yellow pad. Place in the bagging area. "Please remove the last item from the bagging area." Remove child's hand from the bagging area. "Please place item in the bagging area." "Please wait for cashier for assistance"....This repeats with all 10 items we are trying to buy, or until I give up and simply leave without my groceries.
Every time I ask the cashier assistant to just turn off the bagging sensor, and a few times they have. Today, however, the lady refused and told me I needed to move my child from the side of the bagging area. I told her it is impossible to use this machine with kids. She insisted that it was my problem and moved my child herself! I finally just gave up and tried for an actual human cashier. I only had four items and had to pick Gabby up from school in five minutes, so I didn't have time to wait in the 20 minute line (because the human cashiers are always either really old or it is their first day on the job). I left the milk and other items where I stood and left the store. (The mean side of me, which is growing closer to be the whole of me, hopes the milk spoils before anyone notices.) Of course my kids are upset that I didn't buy the food, and I am fuming from an amazingly annoying, unhelpful non-cashier cashier.
I came home and complained to Randy about the store again. He tried to pretend to understand and then laughed. I told him that I am not the only one to experience this. He said it was just moms and eighty-year-olds! I told him it is obviously time for me to blog about it so I can find out who else has these same frustrations.
10 years ago
7 comments:
I totally agree with you about the grocery store. I HATE self checkout, but when they only have one and a half human cashiers, there doesn't seem to be any other choice. The other day when I was at the same store I skipped the self checkout and went to the only open lane with a person, she scanned my milk twice and gave me wrong amount of change... were you saying "really old, or it's their first day"? You can tell Randy it isn't just you. :)
I am also with you on the frustration. No matter what you do, (even without kids!) you are in for frustration: either stand in line forever, or be perpetually confused by the machine.
HAHAHA I have to laugh Caryn. I rarely go to the self checkouts too. It seems like it never picks up the item that I put in the bag....grrr! There are a few times it works and those are happy days. Sorry for the frustration, but you aren't the only one.
So not alone! I think the Self Check Outs were made just to get the customers all worked up. The only ones I like are at Lowes.
Oh man... I hate the Marketplace, I will go almost anywhere else if I can. And I really love going to the self-checkout so that I can hear Gavin say things like, "Mooom- She says to put your stuff in the bag!" Or "Mooom- She wants to know if you have any coupons! Why don't you just tell her!" And I am pretty sure my mean side would have started something with the cashier to attract enough attention to get a manager over there. ;-) I'm proud of you for walking out.
Caryn you found me! Thanks for making a comment so I knew you were there! I need your address for Christmas cards! Hope your family is doing well!
After our millionth frustrating shopping experience there, Nick and I made a pact that we wouldn't shop there anymore. In my dream world they would turn it into a Target and I would be happy forever!
Post a Comment