Friday, April 30, 2010

Spring Break 2010

Day 1:
Drove to Moab, a car ride that should take 4 to 4/1/2 hours, but took us 6. We did detour in Utah county for a while. I (Caryn) have been to Moab and Arches before, but for the rest of the family, it was a first. We drove into Arches and enjoyed our first hike, Park Avenue. The kids were so excited to be out of the car the ran half a mile before pausing to look around. First family photo, and first attempt to use the timer on the camera. Not bad.
Then on to Balanced Rock.
Some rocks are too big to climb so we have to settle for dead trees.

Day 2: First thing in the morning we headed up to Delicate Arch. We were in Moab and excited to be away from the cold north so Gabby and I sported some capris. Poor Gabby was half frozen before we made it three fourths of a mile in. I decided to get a little more exercise and run back to the car to grab a blanket for her. I was no longer cold when I returned with the blanket. The blanket barely took the chill off for her.Gabby, Parker and Joshua were troopers. They made it to the arch in no time, even with the crazy wind. Gabby and Parker at the Lower Delicate Arch Viewpoint.
After a break for lunch and a swim at the hotel in 40 degree temperature, we headed back to Arches to explore Tunnel Arch, Pine Tree Arch, and Landscape Arch.One more try using the timer on the camera. Wow, it was windy and cold. It's a good thing it was beautiful.
The kids always love the hotel the most when we travel. Something about sleeping in a bed that 5,000 people have slept in before gets them excited?! I don't get it, but is seems to be the thing they look forward to when we tell them we are going to take a trip.
Day 3: Double Arch:South Window:and North Window:It's an added bonus when you can find a crevice just the size to make the kids feel big. Joshua discovered it first,and then he shared.To complete the journey, we made it back home in just over 4 hours, even after following at least five of these:

1 comment:

hawsfam said...

I'm glad you guys stay in a hotel on vacation. Marci's blog was making me feel like a terrible Utahn for not liking to camp!