Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ragnar 2010

I had the opportunity to run the Ragnar this year with a few of my friends. I was invited by an old friend from our West Jordan days to recruit a few people for a team. Paula and Dave joined our crew. We were officially known as team "Fun on the Run." Our shirt was designed by Paula, which makes it much cooler. Way to accurately portrait my leg! We were in the second "van" (suburban). Jene' and Mindy were the experienced Ragnar racers. Melany, Dave, Paula and I were experiencing it for the first time.Pre-run we still looked fresh and ready.Jene' (runner 9) was our team captain, and an awesome one at that.Dave (runner 10) was the lone man. What a sport. Stephanie would have been there if she hadn't been great with child. Dexter is definitely worth it. Caryn (runner 12), best non-running shot I have of myself.
Melony (runner 7) was experiencing her first race ever. She was awesome. Paula (runner 11) was 20 weeks pregnant and still rocked everyone else. She is one of my idols.
Because I was mostly along for the ride I had no idea where we were most of the time. Too bad I waited six months to record this. Just know that we saw some amazing sites throughout Utah. Don't tell Randy, but I would do it again. Find me a team willing to run their hearts out with an open spot and I will be there.
Paula's first run was uphill in the heat of the day. Did I tell you yet that she is my idol?
My first run was also uphill, but not quite as bad as Paula's. After a little cleanup and food we camped out on a church lawn to catch some shut-eye. It would have been much more successful if we hadn't been so close to the freeway. Truckers drive all through the night!
My second run started pre-sunrise. It was beautiful. I love that they made me look fast in this picture. Please take more like this.
Our final legs included "The Ragnar." I had heard about the hill, but until you run it I am sure you can't understand. I thought the drive was painful enough. Jene' ran the first part, so very tough.Dave took the last half. He did not ever stop, and shaved ten minutes off of his estimated time. It still amazes me.
Paula then began her last let, down hill. The baby was unwilling to stay hidden. Paula passed runner after runner. Of course I had to taunt them all for being passed by the pregnant lady. One guy refused to be beat by her and nearly killed himself to stay in front.
The finish line was in Park City (I knew where we were then!). Our whole team met for the first time. We had finished after two days of running. Did I love everything? No (mostly my competitive side...I didn't think we would win but assumed we would all give our best). Did our van rock? Absolutely. We beat our estimated times over and over again. We cheered each other on and learned more than we needed to about each other. Great fun.
I do love a good race.

No comments: