Our kids have had some amazing primary teachers, but during 2007 Parker may have been lucky enough to have the perfect ones. Brother and Sister Anderson taught his Sunbeam class. This is the group of kids that start out the year as little three-year-olds, and grow to amazingly independent and strong four-year-olds. The Anderson's don't even have kids of their own yet, but they thought of taking notes of the funny and smart things their kids would say at primary. At the end of the year they put together a letter for each of the kids. When Randy and I read it we laughed so hard we cried. Anything that funny needs to be shared. I asked the Anderson's if they would mind if I posted it on our blog. Enjoy:
Dear Parker,
We had so much fun teaching you in Sunbeams during 2007. The year’s theme was “I’ll Follow Him in Faith.” Some of the lessons we had the most fun teaching were “I Am Thankful for Fish,” “I Am Thankful for Animals,” “I Am Thankful for My Hands,” and “I Can Say I’m Sorry.” You are a very observant boy who always wants to hold a picture close and pick out the very small details.
Some of our favorite memories of teaching you this year include:
During a lesson when we talked about the pioneers and the seagulls, we showed a picture with hundreds of seagulls and crickets. You announced that you wanted to count them and commenced with, “One, two, three…” During the year, the biggest numbers you knew progressed from 40 to 90 to 100 and back to 90. When we taught about Jesus feeding the 5,000, you asked if that was more than 40. You were blown away when we told you it was.
Once, when we asked you who was in a picture we were showing to the class, you quickly answered, “John Taylor!” (The correct answer was Jesus.) We had never talked about John Taylor before, and were amused that this was your answer.
Whenever you would get a sticker during class or Sharing Time, you would put it on the front of your scriptures. Once, during Sharing Time, you were picking at a heart sticker on your scriptures and it ripped in half. You were very distraught until Sister Anderson assured you that she had more heart stickers and would give you another one in class. You shouted out to your mom, who was the Primary President at the time, “Mom, my heart is broken, but my teacher’s going to fix it!”
Toward the beginning of the year, while saying the prayer in class, you said, “We know when we want our pictures, we can go to Target.”
Once, during Sharing Time, you asked Sister Anderson who she was going to marry when she grew up. She explained that she was grown up and married to Brother Anderson. You became confused and said, “But where are your kids?” Sister Anderson explained that they didn’t have any kids yet. “But you have boobs,” you said, “and moms have boobs, so where are your kids?” Sister Anderson didn’t quite know how to respond. You had her stumped with your great logic.
Speaking of stumped, the Stake Primary Presidency challenged all of the kids to learn the Articles of Faith and try to challenge the Stake in reciting them. They called it “Stump the Stake.” You didn’t know what “stump” meant, and kept saying, “But what does stump mean?” It’s become a favorite saying in the Anderson home when we get confused about something. Ala Parker, we say, “But what does stump mean?”
During a lesson when we were talking about how Jesus wants us to be kind to everyone, we talked about some things that were unkind that Jesus doesn’t want us to do, like hit or kick. You added biting, and announced to the class that sometimes Joshua bites your moms boobs. We had to explain that sometimes little kids do things they’re not supposed to, and then we changed the subject very quickly!
We played animal charades during one class after we had learned about Adam and Eve living in the Garden of Eden with the animals. Each child got to pick their own animal to act out. You chose to be a skunk and crawled around the room. When Brother Anderson asked you what you like to eat, you replied, “Garbage.”
During a Sharing Time in December, the kids were making a treat to give to someone they love. You shouted out, “I know who I love! Owen!”
Parker, you are such a special son of our Heavenly Father. You have demonstrated such a love for your family and for learning. We are excited for you to continue to learn and grow. We hope you always remember how much Heavenly Father and Jesus love you. Thank you for touching our hearts this year and being part of our Primary class.
We love you.
Love,
Brother and Sister Anderson
I am only sorry that all of my kids won't get to have Brother and Sister Anderson: their great note taking skills, their ability to find humor in a three-year-olds odd outbursts, and most of all to feel loved by the perfect sunbeam teachers.
Dear Parker,
We had so much fun teaching you in Sunbeams during 2007. The year’s theme was “I’ll Follow Him in Faith.” Some of the lessons we had the most fun teaching were “I Am Thankful for Fish,” “I Am Thankful for Animals,” “I Am Thankful for My Hands,” and “I Can Say I’m Sorry.” You are a very observant boy who always wants to hold a picture close and pick out the very small details.
Some of our favorite memories of teaching you this year include:
During a lesson when we talked about the pioneers and the seagulls, we showed a picture with hundreds of seagulls and crickets. You announced that you wanted to count them and commenced with, “One, two, three…” During the year, the biggest numbers you knew progressed from 40 to 90 to 100 and back to 90. When we taught about Jesus feeding the 5,000, you asked if that was more than 40. You were blown away when we told you it was.
Once, when we asked you who was in a picture we were showing to the class, you quickly answered, “John Taylor!” (The correct answer was Jesus.) We had never talked about John Taylor before, and were amused that this was your answer.
Whenever you would get a sticker during class or Sharing Time, you would put it on the front of your scriptures. Once, during Sharing Time, you were picking at a heart sticker on your scriptures and it ripped in half. You were very distraught until Sister Anderson assured you that she had more heart stickers and would give you another one in class. You shouted out to your mom, who was the Primary President at the time, “Mom, my heart is broken, but my teacher’s going to fix it!”
Toward the beginning of the year, while saying the prayer in class, you said, “We know when we want our pictures, we can go to Target.”
Once, during Sharing Time, you asked Sister Anderson who she was going to marry when she grew up. She explained that she was grown up and married to Brother Anderson. You became confused and said, “But where are your kids?” Sister Anderson explained that they didn’t have any kids yet. “But you have boobs,” you said, “and moms have boobs, so where are your kids?” Sister Anderson didn’t quite know how to respond. You had her stumped with your great logic.
Speaking of stumped, the Stake Primary Presidency challenged all of the kids to learn the Articles of Faith and try to challenge the Stake in reciting them. They called it “Stump the Stake.” You didn’t know what “stump” meant, and kept saying, “But what does stump mean?” It’s become a favorite saying in the Anderson home when we get confused about something. Ala Parker, we say, “But what does stump mean?”
During a lesson when we were talking about how Jesus wants us to be kind to everyone, we talked about some things that were unkind that Jesus doesn’t want us to do, like hit or kick. You added biting, and announced to the class that sometimes Joshua bites your moms boobs. We had to explain that sometimes little kids do things they’re not supposed to, and then we changed the subject very quickly!
We played animal charades during one class after we had learned about Adam and Eve living in the Garden of Eden with the animals. Each child got to pick their own animal to act out. You chose to be a skunk and crawled around the room. When Brother Anderson asked you what you like to eat, you replied, “Garbage.”
During a Sharing Time in December, the kids were making a treat to give to someone they love. You shouted out, “I know who I love! Owen!”
Parker, you are such a special son of our Heavenly Father. You have demonstrated such a love for your family and for learning. We are excited for you to continue to learn and grow. We hope you always remember how much Heavenly Father and Jesus love you. Thank you for touching our hearts this year and being part of our Primary class.
We love you.
Love,
Brother and Sister Anderson
I am only sorry that all of my kids won't get to have Brother and Sister Anderson: their great note taking skills, their ability to find humor in a three-year-olds odd outbursts, and most of all to feel loved by the perfect sunbeam teachers.
(Brother & Sister Anderson, Parker, Annie)
6 comments:
I am surprised to hear that so many of Parker's comments are about boobs. (HA) That is hilarious. What a great kid and great teachers.
I am surprised to hear that so many of Parker's comments are about boobs. (HA) That is hilarious. What a great kid and great teachers.
Oh, I laughed out loud (repeatedly)! Parker is so funny and so cute. I second the love for the Andersons. I also want to add that I don't think Annie even knows what the word boob means.
I am laughing so hard right now! Parker seriously kills me. What a neat thing for the Anderson's to put together. They are wonderful people. I know they love and will miss your little Parker!
Parker is such a crackup. I could not stop laughing. How neat that his primary teachers did that for him. I love your blog by the way.
That is so funny. I laughed out loud and read it to Spencer. Spencer and I moved out of the ward right as the Anderson's moved in but I actually know them pretty well- she lived in the apartment next to me when we were single and she was just starting to date her husband! Tell her hi for me!
Post a Comment